Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Does HSWCD perform Agricultural Soil and Tissue Testing? 

HSWCD does not perform these tests, but our partner and neighbor, the Highlands County Extension Office, can aide in the collection, packaging and sending off of samples to be tested. Agricultural producers in Highlands County have the ability to participate in the AgriTest Initiative Program, which is funded by HSWCD.

Highlands County Extension Office

Phone: (863) 402-6540
Address: 4509 George Blvd., Sebring, FL 33875

Does HSWCD perform Residential Soil Testing? 

Our organization does not provide these services, but the Highlands County Extension Office (located in the same building) does.

Highlands County Extension

Phone: (863) 402-6540
Address: 4509 George Blvd., Sebring, FL 33875

Can HSWCD aide in evaluating my property for residential or agricultural uses? 

No. The Highlands Soil and Water Conservation District does not perform site visits to provide feedback on suitable property uses.  

How can I obtain a soils map of my property? 

The USDA has surveyed the soil across the entire United States and uploaded all information to the web.  You may access the data for your site via the Web Soil Survey.

Where can I obtain a Plat Directory of Highlands County? 

These books are housed at the Highlands County Farm Bureau Office.

Address: 6419 US 27 S., Sebring, FL 33875.

Does HSWCD house historical maps of Highlands County? 

We do not.  The printed historical maps of Highlands County are located at Archbold Biological Station in Venus, FL.  Their contact information is below:

Archbold Biological Station

Phone: (863) 465-2571

Address: 123 Main Dr, Venus, FL 33960 


Electronic versions dating from 1940 to 1985 may be accessed on the web through the University of Florida Digital Collections Site

Does HSWCD house historical documents related to the soil and water quality projects in Highlands County? 

We do on a limited basis.  Please schedule an appointment to grant access to information you may need. 

Contact Us

How can I access information on the public lakes and natural areas of Highlands County? 

Please visit the Highlands County Natural Resources page for information on public lakes and natural areas.

Can I update my USDA Farm Records at the shared USDA/HSWCD Office? 

Unfortunately, no.  The USDA-Farm Service Agency Office that services Highlands County is located at:




OKEECHOBEE, FL 34972-2303

(800) 243-9912

(863) 763-3345 ext 2

(855) 563-2110 Fax


Jenny Hoover
County Executive Director
(863) 763-3345 ext 2
(855) 563-2110 fax
Farm Loan Manager


Where do I apply for a USDA Rural Housing Loan in Highlands County? 

The USDA-Rural Housing and Development Service Center for Highlands County is located at:

ROYAL PALM BEACH AREA OFFICE **(see Sub Office information)
Ada Rivera, Area Director 
420 South State Road 7, Suite 166, Royal Palm Beach, FL 33414
Work phone: 561-792-2727
Fax: 855-475-4827

**N. Ft. Myers (Sub Office of Royal Palm Beach)
Ada Rivera, Area Director 
3434 Hancock Bridge Pkwy., Suite 209-A, N. Ft. Myers, FL 33903
Work phone: 239-997-7331
Fax: 855-475-8043
Counties served from Royal Palm Beach and North Fort Myers: Broward, Dade, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Martin, Monroe, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, St. Lucie, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota.